What is this challenge about?
VAM Realities Challenge is a competition to uncover the best European XR solutions and make them available for the SMEs of tomorrow. Winners will receive a wide exposure and access to European industrial sector in Belgium, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Italy, Spain and the Netherlands.
Virtual, augmented and mixed realities (VAM Realities) play an increasingly important role in many areas of the economy, especially in the manufacturing industry.
In the VAM Realities Erasmus+ project 11 higher education institutions, companies and business representatives from all over Europe have joined forces to help European SMEs to take advantage of the state-of-the-art XR technology. The project is co-funded by the European Commission.
Who can participate?
Category 1: Company
Company category will seek for applications and solutions that can be deployed for use immediately after the competition. Thus, they should be technically fully implemented by 05/2021 and the team should have a company registered in order to support operations.
More specifically, solutions are searched in three subcategories:
- Remote support and training
- Sales and Marketing
Requirements for participation:
– Solution is ready to be deployed to customers by 05/2021
– Team has a company so that they have began or can begin operations by 05/2021
Category 2: Student
Student category will seek for brilliant XR concepts from individual students and student groups. Thus, the solution does not have to be implemented yet. However, demonstrating a working prototype will be considered an advantage.
Requirements for participation:
– Being a student in any European educational institution
The VAM Realities Challenge was launched on the 7th of October 2020 in the virtual XR Factory event.
The competition timeline will be as follows:
1. 10/2020 – 01/2021 Submit short solution pitches/slides
1.a Jury evaluates submissions and chooses finalists
2. 02/2021 – 04/2021 Finalists submit their video pitches
3. Finals are held and results will be published in a virtual event
In May 2021
Company category – access to potential customers via VAR Realities network, the best solution will be piloted with companies.
Student category – the best student concept will receive a wide exposure and win a prize of 1 000 EUR sponsored by Virtual Reality Finland Association.
The competition jury consists of experienced members from industry and academia and will will evaluate the submissions considering the following perspectives:
– Readiness to pilot
– Cost of implementation
Instructions for submission
Submit a presentation (8-12 slides, pdf) or a video pitch (1-3 minutes) describing your product or service (max 100 MB file size). Focus on how your solution can help a small or medium sized manufacturing company.
Your pitch should include the following perspectives:
- Need – What is the pain you’re solving?
- Approach – Describe your solution.
- Benefits – What are the benefits of your solution?
- Competition – What is the competition and why your solution is better?
- Cost – What does it cost to implement?
- Pilot – Describe how you would structure a pilot project with a potential customer?
- Company – Present your company and/or team.
- References – If you already have references, you should include them here.
Submit a presentation (8-12 slides, pdf)) or a video pitch (1-3 minutes) describing your concept. We are looking for innovative XR solutions that help European manufacturing companies improve their operations in the digital future.
Let your imagination run wild! Solutions disrupting the current status quo are appreciated. As a timescale, your solutions take advantage of technologies that are available now or expected to be available within the next three years.
Some important areas manufacturing companies are looking solutions for:
- Remote assistance and maintenance
- Collaboration and design
- Sales and marketing